Conversational AI 9-DESIGNING A DIALOGUE SYSTEM
Designing a dialogue system is in many ways similar to developing any other software system. The main difference lies in determining the interactional requirements and the conversational user interface of the dialogue system. The following are the main steps to be taken in designing a dialogue system.
- Requirements analysis
- Determine if conversation is the right approach for the application, for example, booking a hotel room, engaging in chit-chat.
- Analyze the users, e.g., teenagers, adults, elderly users.
- Decide on a persona for the system, e.g., professional, casual, friendly.
- Technology analysis: Consider the technical requirements for the application and review the limitations of different platforms and preferred devices for the application.
- High-level design
- Create sample dialogues and enact them with one participant playing the role of the user and the other the system.
- Create high-level flows, beginning with happy paths in which the user behaves as expected, and then develop edge cases to handle possible errors.
- Prototype the high-level flows using one of the many visual editing tools for creating a conversation flow.